Better Than Piss Cerveza - Share your thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wscott823

Reaction score
I really enjoy a fresh pico de gallo and wanted to try and infuse some flavors into a cerveza style beer. I'll more than likely be doing this in a small 2 gallon batch first (due to lagering limitations). Please let me know your thoughts on acceptable quantities of cilantro to add. Thanks in advance.

Recipe: Better Than Piss Cerveza
Brewer: Bass Brewer
Asst Brewer: Sexy Brew Wench
Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (45 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
5.00 gal Washington, DC Water
1 Pkgs Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940) Yeast-Lager
6 units Jalepeno Peppers

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.00 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
Halve the peppers including seeds and add to boil similar to continuous hopping.

2 weeks prior to bottling add 3-4 peels of lime and let infuse with 1 cup vodka. Add cilantro to infusion at day 10.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I would go with a spicy hop like amarillo or chinook, centennial has a citrus dominant taste and smell.

to be cerveza style, I'd probably add 10-15% (or even higher) of the grain bill being flaked corn. I've got a cerveza-kinda style cream ale in the fermenter right now, and that has 20% corn. I'd also really shy away from putting that jalapeno in there, as every beer that I've tried with jalapeno in there has been kinda bleh.

I'd say the cilantro is a good idea, but get a citrus-y hop instead of the lime zest, and then serve it with a jalapeno in it.

YMMV.

In your opinion does that go for any pepper or just jalepeno, I've heard of some people using Serano peppers in their brews

Cerveza beer is supposed to be Vienna Malt and Maize. Also, that beer is too big for a Cervaza, you should tone it down to like .040~.045

Well I would drink it anyway, looks good except for the pepper - yuk!

I'm guessing a couple of bunches of cilantro would leave a strong flavor. Coriander is cilantro seed... the cilantro sounds killer.

Do the pepper for just a short time in secondary or something, pepper usually overwhelms a beer.

Poblano peppers have a very complex flavor and their heat shouldn't overwhelm a beer, just a thought.

I hope this turns out awesome, I'd like to try it!

Back