Better hop utilization, double hop IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Would anyone like to make any recommendations on how to get the best utilization out of hop additions? I know of the traditional times (at the beginning, 30 minutes in, 15-10 minutes left) but would like to make a double IPA that has some decent complexity, not just *bam* bitterness. I'm just not sure if there's some techniques to get a fuller, balanced hop flavor in beer.

Bonus: If anyone wants to recommend a good Wyeast strain for a double IPA, I'm all ears. : D

The maximum bitterness you can extract from hops is 30% at 60 mins. (Boiling 90 minutes does not extract more bitterness. A 90+ minute boil is for water evaporation.)

Flavoring comes from hops added during the last 5 -15 minutes of the boil.

Aroma comes from the last 5 mins to just steeping them for a few minutes after turning the flame off under the pot.

This is just a generalization some people may tweak the minutes a bit, but not far off from what I quoted you.

I did do some dry hopping in times past. Do you use bittering, aroma or finishing hops for that, though? Any dry hopping techniques would be helpful too. Gotta make every hop count.

What recipe are you looking to use.

My last IPA , BIGIPA made my mouth tingle with the hoppiness and it was pleasant to drink with no astringency. A brew I will remember.

This might help: http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm. Basically, what hb_99 said, in pretty picture form.

hop_utilization.jpg

One method to maximize hop flavor & aroma, is to skip the bittering add completely. Adjust the flavor & aroma hops to hit your IBU target. Another is to use more types of hops. A half ounce each of Perle, Amarillo and Cascades vs. 3 ounces of Cascades.

Wouldn't halving the boil time affect the nature of the beer itself, though? Otherwise I suppose you could boil the wort for a while, etc. and then add the hops over the course of a half hour after that.

I'm assuming the same logic applies for AG? I always was under the impression that the boil was, in addition to extracting oils from the hops, was to get the protein to coagulate and some other lovely stuff on the micro-chemical level.

Latest posts

Back