better braggot recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made quite a bit of beer and some mead, but only one braggot and I didn't like it too much. To be honest, there was so little honey to malt ratio there was barely any honey taste at all.

So, I'm looking for an extract braggot recipe which is more 'honey forward', has steeping grains that blend well with the flowery honey taste, and has a good hop balance. Mine was so hoppy it overpowered the honey.

What is a good fermentable division? (50-50? 75% honey?)

And yeast selection for braggot?

TIA!

In my couple of Braggots i went with 4/5 Honey, 1/5 Dark Malt and cascade hops. I kept it simple and it turned out great. I would definitely suggest it for a dark hefty more mead-like braggot.

Hi all,

I've made quite a bit of beer and some mead, but only one braggot and I didn't like it too much. To be honest, there was so little honey to malt ratio there was barely any honey taste at all.

So, I'm looking for an extract braggot recipe which is more 'honey forward', has steeping grains that blend well with the flowery honey taste, and has a good hop balance. Mine was so hoppy it overpowered the honey.

What is a good fermentable division? (50-50? 75% honey?)

And yeast selection for braggot?

TIA!

I use 2 yeasts, one to start the beer and then when I make the mead I use narabonne.

5 gallons... you probably should use 9-10 lbs, from my experience. If not the honey disappears. Some recipes call for as much as 12.

Back