Better Bottles - this really makes me want to buy some

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
Saw this while perusing morebeer's forum. I had stuck with my glass carboys when I was using a wort wizard, but now that I've got a pump, I can get rid of them. I've already had one moment with my carboys. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31373

http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewtopic.php?t=25146
My good friend and fellow brewer has been off this week recovering from surgery.

He dropped a full carboy and instinctively tried to save it... putting his hands in the path of the resulting explosion. All that liquid escaping pushes the glass shards out pretty explosively apparently.

He severed 5 tendons in one had and had over twenty stitches in the other.

After telling my wife this story she made me sit down and by a carboy hauler, can't say I blame her.

I guess the lesson is be very damn careful with your vessels, spend the money on safety equipment, and if the carboy is going save yourself, and cry over the lost beer later.

I hate to hear about that happening to anyone, but that's why they make handles and haulers.

Yeah, I know, but I don't think there's any perfect fix for all of the glass carboy problems. You shouldn't really carry a full carboy with a handle, and the haulers don't really help you when you're cleaning them and need to pick them up, turn them upside down, and drain them. Plus, if they're wet they're slippery, especially if they've been cleaned with oxyclean!

Right now my hands are worth about $150k, and I'll have to add about $100k to that before I'm done. I'll stick with my better bottles.

I hope he heals up and is ok.

Thanks for the head's up. I hadn't thought about the extra energy created by the collapsing wort. I once worked for a company that made windows and it was well known that you never try to save a large piece of glass from falling.

I've taken to using the milk crate method, but I wonder if safety could be further enhanced by applying a couple rings of duct tape around the carboy? Maybe a piece of carpet in the bottom of the milk crate too.

I like that duct tape idea. Not a complete fix, but it might limit the flying glass. Does anyone know if carboy caps work on BB's? I've become partial to the racking cane/blowing into tube method of racking...but I'm not sure I want to keep buying glass.

That is one seriously scary story.

I've been thinking about this problem lately, and I have an idea to run past ya'll. They make this stuff that is like plastic coating in a can. It's supposed to be used for coating pliers handles and ratchets and stuff(goes on thick and is fairly soft when cured). then there's the roll on truck bed liner (thinner and harder, but WAY stickier). I think that if I scratch the heck out of the bottom third of a carboy... or maybe etch it with a bath of muriatic acid, products like these could make the ultimate carboy protecter. Well, certainly not against a big drop, but just the banging around that happens every time you move one.

The best personal protection I know of is what an old friend of mine used to call "fingers and toes" He worked in the steel construction industry. The idea is that you watch out for my fingers and toes, and I'll keep an eye on yours. Any time we went to move something, weld, cut.... well anything, he'd say to me, "fingers and toes" and I'd shake my head and say "fingers and toes" Then we both always knew where the priorities were.... all forty of 'em. There were plenty of times that we both saved appendages by doing the right thing when stuff went haywire: get out of the way and be ready to grab your buddy when he doesn't.

Dang, I love my BB and rarely use my glass carboy unless im aging something for a few months.

I love my Better Bottles. :) I still use my glass carboy, but only when the BB's are full... Interestingly, I buy a new BB every now and then in the belief that I'll "replace" the glass one that I "had" to use last time.

ScubaSteve said:
Does anyone know if carboy caps work on BB's? I've become partial to the racking cane/blowing into tube method of racking...but I'm not sure I want to keep buying glass.

yes, but don't try using vacuum on a BB. it will just collapse. i've seenthat when trying to degas wine with an electric vacuum pump. pressure should work fine, though.
i will not be buying any more glass carboys after using BBs for a year. i can pick up one with two fingers. handling a 12 lb glass carboy and trying to drain it over a sink is way too scary, especially after hearing that story.
there is some controversy about using plastic, but read the better bottle literature. BBs aren't plastic.
Better Bottle FAQ
i've had good luck with them and know others who have too. even for bulk aging wine for 6 months or more.
bill keiser

Kevin Dean said:
I love my Better Bottles. :) I still use my glass carboy, but only when the BB's are full... Interestingly, I buy a new BB every now and then in the belief that I'll "replace" the glass one that I "had" to use last time.

I sold all my glass carboys and bought all Better Bottles. They Rock!

Alright so midwest has the same starter kit but instead of a carboy it's a better-bottle. I have kids and this stuff will be hanging around in the kitchen a lot - the heart of our home. ;) I'm going to go with the BB set up..

Back