Better bottles and blowoff tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddpac87

Reaction score
Getting ready to order what I need to get started and I've decided to go with better bottles for my fermenters. I wanted to use a blowoff tube, but I was unsure how that would be done with the better bottles. Does the typical 1 inch tubing fit in the better bottle the same way it does in a glass carboy? Or would I be able to use a stopper and like 3/8 inch tubing as the blowoff? I know better bottles has some specialty stoppers and airlocks made just for them, but they didn't really seem worth the price if they weren't necessary.

I am not sure about the 1 inch tubing fitting in the better bottle. I use the northern brewer better bottle blow off kit which is just a size 10 stopper with a 1/2 in od vinyl tube hole drilled into it. If you can drill the hole, get the stopper and the size of tubing you can accommodate. If not, I suggest their setup. Has worked well for me for over a year.

Don't know the answer, simply because after the first blow off I realized that the better way is to have fermenters large enough to contain any potential blow off. In addition proper temperature control helps keep things in check. If you are just starting you might want to research using larger containers.

An orange carboy cap with a 1/2" hose will fit a Better Bottle.

That's what I do. I get blow off on every batch. The 1/2" hose works OK but every so often it will get jammed with hop junk and the orange cap will explode off making a huge mess in my fermenting fridge. But this is rare.

are you getting the caps with the better bottles. I have the actual better bottle caps and they have an o-ring stopper that a standard 1/2" blowoff tube fits in NEVER had a blowoff. 5.5 gallons fits fine and having to use a blow-off tube for the convenience of the plastic is fine. Plus after the first 4 to 7 depending on your fermentation, you can just do a quick switch out to an airlock once the fermentation has settled down.

are you getting the caps with the better bottles. I have the actual better bottle caps and they have an o-ring stopper that a standard 1/2" blowoff tube fits in NEVER had a blowoff. 5.5 gallons fits fine and having to use a blow-off tube for the convenience of the plastic is fine. Plus after the first 4 to 7 depending on your fermentation, you can just do a quick switch out to an airlock once the fermentation has settled down.

Are you asking me?

The better bottle brand bungs are crazy expensive. I assume they work great but they are just too pricey for me.

I have the orange carboy caps. Also a #10 stopper works fine. You can drill the stopper to accept a blow off tube. The medium sized universal stoppers are the best for is the best for use with an air lock or to seal things shut for transport.

here is a link to a universal stopper

My experience has been that the orange caps will fit, the red caps will not.

there are 2 sizes of orange caps. One is bigger then the other. The bigger orange caps fit the better bottles. I've never used a red cap.

This reminds me of a story I read to my kids. Caps for sale, caps for sale, 50 cents a cap... :cross:

I use a medium universal carboy stopper with the bottom piece of a three-piece airlock (one with the bottom end open instead of that plastic screen thing many of them have), and simply connect my blow-off hose to that stem of the airlock piece. Works great!

Back