Better Bottle Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
I need to free up my glass carboys for mead this summer so I decided to take the plunge and try a couple of 6 gallon Better Bottles for my beer to see what the differences might be between the two.

I am wondering about the fermenting temperatures. I did a partial mash full boil yesterday, chilled with wort chiller and put it into the better bottle at approx 80F. I stuck it in the bathtub of water cooling system I have and covered the better bottle with a towel and let it go overnight.

I have a beautiful fermentation going right now. When I checked the temp (stuck on the outside of the fermentor) it showed in the low 60's. My glass carboys never seemed to be able to get this low. Has anyone else found their fermenting temps were a little lower in the better bottles than in the glass carboys when they put the fermentor in a water bath? If this is the case, this might be a huge plus for summer brewing here in AZ for me...

Nope, not trying to start another glass vs plastic debate! I am just curious if anyone else has seen this...

Normally glass would have a better heat transfer rate but it kind of makes sense considering how thin walled the BB are compared to thicker glass carboys. I have not experienced the difference myself but it's good to know with summer coming.

Back