Better Bottle Carboy With Hole For Spigot - Oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I picked this up for $12.49 but I didn't know it had a hole in it for a spigot.

Should I return it?

I found it at a local Wine & Beer store that also carries brewing supplies. The guy said it was a display. I think he was wrong. It had the price sticker on it and he said he would give it to me for that price. His uncle runs that department and has been brewing since the 70's but he wasn't there that day.

I've been leary of primaries with spigots. Seems like they wouldn't be sanitary after sitting for a while?

Not sanitary after sitting a while? I'm confused. You can just spray it prior to use.

I've been leary of primaries with spigots. Seems like they wouldn't be sanitary after sitting for a while?

There's a pipe you use to assemble/disassemble that spigot in there. Take the spigot out each batch and clean it. It's not very hard and then you know it's clean. It's great not having to siphon.

Found a BB spigot assembly (racking adapter & flow valve) at my LHBS. They said it looks like BB Might be going out of business. Can't even get supplies or get in touch with them.

What's this going to mean for replacement parts like gaskets?

What's this going to mean for replacement parts like gaskets?

It does suck for gaskets, which is why I always buy extra gaskets when I get a piece of equipment, but there's a huge gasket market out there of every size shape and material imaginable. They're out there.

Funny, I had a spigot and no BB. Just threw the spigot away. Too bad, I would have sent it to you. BTW, I hated the spigot (it was the only one with a spigot out of 6, and the last one to get used when I brewed).

I heard a rumor that BB was actually just rebuilding their extruding machine after the original one was destroyed by flooding. It's been a while though, I'm starting to suspect the patient isn't going to recover.

Personally I would return it. It is not the inside of the spigot that I don't trust it is the spout area during the fermentation... You can try to tie a plastic bag of sanitizer on the spigot but what a PITA. Much easier to siphon....

I also don't trust cheap plastic spigots for long term.

Back