Better Bottle blow off set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnj

Reaction score
I know someone will say it so let me say first, the search function isn't working for me. "better bottles" doesn't return anything and either of those words on their own returns threads I have no interest in...

I just realized I have beer in my primary and secondary and that leaves me without a bottling bucket.. Sooo, I'll have to buy another container.

I would like to start using yeast starters and from my research it seems as this causes more activity in the primary and can cause the air lock to fill up w/ foam. So a blow off tube is needed.

I currently have a bottling bucket (that doubles as my primary) and a five gallon glass carboy. I was thinking that I could get a six gallong better bottle to use as my primary. I know the company sells a threaded insert that allows the use of a blow off pipe/tube.

My question is, do I have to use that threaded insert or can I get away with some other rubber seal/tube configuration?

Hope that all makes sense..

Or if you have a better/different suggestion, I'm all for it.
:)

First of all, let me start off by recommending that you start using a blow off on all your brews, at least for the first 3-4 days.

That being said, a thin tube, such as the one you likely use to siphon, should fit snugly in the hole of any standard stopper. You could also use a three-piece airlock, and just remove the cap and the bell-shaped piece. Your tubing should fit straight onto that, although you'll want to run the tubing under hot water for a minute first.

First of all, let me start off by recommending that you start using a blow off on all your brews, at least for the first 3-4 days.

That being said, a thin tube, such as the one you likely use to siphon, should fit snugly in the hole of any standard stopper. You could also use a three-piece airlock, and just remove the cap and the bell-shaped piece. Your tubing should fit straight onto that, although you'll want to run the tubing under hot water for a minute first.

I've seen a couple people suggest this. I'm assuming, since the "cup" part of the airlock is exposed you would have re-sanitize it when you remove the blow-off tube?

I would have thought that the thin tube wouldn't be large enough for an effective blow off..?

I have a 3-piece air lock, and I just use the main piece with a 1/2in Diam tube connected to it as a blow off, never had any trouble with it and it's great because it lets me use an airlock that I broke the middle piece of.

Also, a 2ft piece of tubing was less then a buck at Lowe's, and a new airlock is $1.50 at my LHBS. So $2.50 beat the heck out of buying a special fitting from better bottle.

I've seen a couple people suggest this. I'm assuming, since the "cup" part of the airlock is exposed you would have re-sanitize it when you remove the blow-off tube?

Oh yeah. Sanitize the crap out of it.

I would have thought that the thin tube wouldn't be large enough for an effective blow off..?

It's worked fine for me on several batches, including a fairly big Irish Stout. Would I try it on a double pitch 1.075 RIS atop a yeast cake? Probably not, but it'll work fine for most anything.

Yes, it's exposed, so it'd need to be sanitized. But I find it easier to just replace it with a different airlock and then soak it to help get the krasen out of it.

Here's my solution: 1/2" vinyl tubing on a carboy cap.

bubbles1.jpg

-Joe

Search 40289 on northernbrewer.com - that's what I use (it came in my kit) but its just 1/2" ID tube and a drilled stopper (#6.5 I think). All of the methods listed above will work just as well.

Back