Better-Bottle blow off - drilling stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Just got a 6 gal BB for future primaries.

I did read somewhere how a BB user drilled a #10 stopper to take in a two-ended barbed connector, thus providing a stem for blow off tubing attachment (big enough for proper blow off).

Anybody do that?

What kind of drill bit would cut into the stopper material cleanly?

(BTW, what's up with different stopper material, i.e. silicone and...what?)

i would be careful drilling the stopper yourself. that rubber can grip the bit and might cause you some pain depending on how you are holding it.

I have a bunch of #10 or #11 stoppers (I can't remember) that I drilled out with a cork borer...we happen to have one in the lab I work in. You can probably buy pre-drilled stoppers from AHS or NB, orange carboy caps fit BB's too.

I recently solved that problem, I bought a 3 piece airlock,take the top off and the loose piece out. A length of 1/2" vinyl tubing will fir over the center tube of the airlock. Works great and is easy.

I hate carboy caps on better bottles. They don't fit tightly enough for my style. I used a #10 (i'm pretty sure) and I put a 1/2" to 1/2" barb and you can actually force it into the existing hole in the stopper.

The orange stoppers may seem loose, but they are air tight. Otherwise the CO2 wouldn't cause the airlock to bubble. I also like for racking, stick a racking cane in the center, put the filter in the other port and blow...beer is flowing into the secondary or bottling bucket. Easier than an autosiphon.

And I have had problems with the stoppers slipping until they are dry. I have had to tie them onto the better bottle before, PITA.

Back