Beta-glucan rest for my roggenbier?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SailorTodd

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
153
Reaction score
4
Location
Washington
I am brewing a pseudo-roggenbier tomorrow with following grain bill:

4lb Weyermann Rye Malt
4lb 2-row
2lb 6-row
1lb Munich
.5lb CaraRed
(.5lb rice hulls)

I'm trying to figure out if I need a beta-glucan rest at 110F for 20 min to kick off my mash. Thoughts, opinions and advice?

Also, is it possible to add just the rye malt for the beta-glucan rest and then add the rest of the grains? Due to the limitations of my equipment and skill, I will be doing an infusion mash. Because of this I am concerned about my mash thickness and being able to reach my mash temps properly. My thought is that if I do a beta-glucan rest with just the rye, with about 4 qts of water, then add the grain and water to bring the volume up to 1.25-1.5 qt/lb and 152F, I'd only have to raise the second infusion temp to 190, whereas if I use a rest on the full grain bill, and have a ratio of NLT .75qt/lb, I'd have to raise my next infusion temp to nearly boiling to reach my desired mash temp and volume.
 
OP
SailorTodd

SailorTodd

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
153
Reaction score
4
Location
Washington
I'm brewing this up at the moment. Decided to do a beta-glucan rest for just the rye. Also altered the grain bill just a bit because the brew store sent more rye than I ordered. Grain bill looked like this:

5# Rye Malt (weyermann)
2.5# Pale Ale Malt (Briess)
2# 6-row (Briess)
1.5# Munich Malt (Weyermann)
.5# Crystal 120L (Briess)
.5# CaraRed (Weyermann)
.5# rice hulls

I conducted a 110F beta-glucan rest with the 5# rye and 5 qts water, then added the rest of the grain and 10qts water @ 180F for a 60 min mash at 151F. I mashed out with 4qts of boiling water to bring the mash temp to 165. Didn't completely get a stuck sparge, but it stopped at the very end with less wort than I expected (2.5gal). Added first sparge water and got another 2gal of wort. With my second sparge I got my boil volume up to 6.8gal. My efficiency hurt just a bit compared with recent averages. Got 68% mash efficiency while most of my recent batches - since switching to my own grain mill - have clocked in at 75-80%. This should turn out great, all in all. We'll see if I like rye beers...
 
Top