Bestmalz Aromatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I need to convince him to find real aromatic from another supplier.

Its always a problem. Our LHBS often mixes castle aromatic 40L and MFB Special Aromatic (A lovely malt, but a 5L dark vienna style malt, not really a aromatic malt) in a bin labeled "aromatic malt"

Im not sure where you are. Weyerman makes an abbey malt that is close to an belgian aromatic. As is melanoidin malt. Dingemans and castle make aromatic malts. If that all fails, just sub a 20L munich if they have that.

Breiss Victory malt should qualify as a substitute for aromatic malt.

No, not really.

Victory malt is more like biscuit malt, while aromatic malt is more of a "malty malt", rather than toasty or biscuity. It's a more intensely malty Munich malt. Munich malt 20L is a decent sub, and is melanoidin malt. Aromatic malt can convert itself.

Victory malt is toasty, a roasted malt that is a specialty malt. It brings out some toasty and biscuity notes, and a darker color. It has no diastastic power, and cannot convert itself.

Breiss Victory malt should qualify as a substitute for aromatic malt.

I'm not sure about that. Victory is in a different family of malts (biscuit malts). They're toasty/bready/nutty whereas aromatic is malty sweet. I'd reach for munich as a substitute before biscuit. Melanoiden is probably the best substitute.

No, not really.

Victory malt is more like biscuit malt, while aromatic malt is more of a "malty malt", rather than toasty or biscuity. It's a more intensely malty Munich malt. Munich malt 20L is a decent sub, and is melanoidin malt. Aromatic malt can convert itself.

Victory malt is toasty, a roasted malt that is a specialty malt. It brings out some toasty and biscuity notes, and a darker color. It has no diastastic power, and cannot convert itself.

Thanks for clarifying that Yooper! I used Dingemans Aromatic just recently. Some have called it a "super Munich" malt.

Thanks for clarifying that Yooper! I used Dingemans Aromatic just recently. Some have called it a "super Munich" malt.

That's a good description. It's like Munich malt, on steroids.

I remember about 10 years ago a guy on the forum loved malty beers so he did a SMaSH of a noble hop variety and 100% aromatic malt.

It converted just fine. His only complaint was that it was "too malty". I said something like, "Oh? Duh" in return. :D

Fuller's 1845 calls for 10% Aromatic. Are there any UK maltsters who are retailing Aromatic malt to the homebrewer? Or could Dingemans Aromatic (or perhaps Melanoidin) be used for this application? I was going to use Victory, but you saved me from that mistake.

This grain substitution chart is where I got the idea that Victory was an equivalent to Aromatic:
https://www.brew.is/files/malt.html

The chart shows Victory on the same line with Melanoidin and DWC Aromatic (which is now Dingemans).

Back