Best yeast for Trillium clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marjen

Reaction score
So I am getting ready for my first brew day. I am going to be trying to product a Trillium fort point clone. It will be an extract brew with specialty grains steeped in. My question is on which yeast strain to use. I have seen 3 mentioned Wyeast British Ale 1098, WLP007 Dry English Ale and WY 1318. In an article on the recipe I saw they used WLP007, is that considered the closest match for a trillium beer? Below is my ingredient list. This will be my first beer attempt. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Batch size will be 6 gallon, boil hoping for 5 in the fermenter.

6.5 lb Muntons Light DME
1 lb Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
8 oz Briess Carapis Malt
4 oz British crystal 20L

0.25 oz Columbus Hops @ 60 min
0.75 oz Columbus Hops @ 10 min
1 tsp irish moss @ 10 min
2oz Columbus at hop stand @ 180° for 30’

Wyeast British Ale 1098 Yeast (or WLP007 Dry English Ale or WY 1318) @ 70°.
Dry hop as krausen begins falling (day 4-5)
4oz Galaxy + 1 oz Columbus dry hop (after 3-4 days)
Keg on day 8. (3oz galaxy dry hop in keg)

I figure those are the 2 best choices. I do have WY1098 but have heard 007 is closer. Maybe I will try a batch with each and see which is closer. Thanks.

I've had a lot of success with 007 - Awesome yeast. Some others might say 1318 but I personally think 007 is closer.

I get the feeling 1318 is most off of the 3. I know its used a lot in NE IPAs but not sure its the closest to the trillium taste. I will try a couple batches with 1098 and 007 and see which matches best. I am going to get lucky as i will be heading up there tomorrow and the have galaxy fort point in stock so I can pick up a case to have samples to compare my next few batches against. Good timing.

Good luck, that Galaxy DH FPPA is one of the best beers going when its on. Definitely a beer I like much better a little on the warm side (50ish). I agree that WLP007 is closest but you have to nail the fermentation temp at 67-68 actual wort temp to get the right flavor profile. I have had trouble nailing this one down, let us know how it goes.

I am going to be making this over the weekend. I have both wpl007 and the wy1098 so I might actually split the wort in two and do a half batch with each. It would give me a good chance to try both side by side and speed up the process of fine tuning the recipe. I also have some fresh galaxy fort point on hand to compare to.

@marjen Could we get an update on your results? Very interested to hear!

Well after several batches I ended up with WY1318. That got me the closest. I also went all grain, did not have a ton of success with the extract versions. I have gotten away from the original recipe a bit and mixed in some other ingredients and had some very good success with the style. Right now I am in a bit of a bad spell with these beers post upgrading equipment and changing my batch size but I would say try WY1318.

Back