Best yeast for Scottish 80/-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theskibum

Reaction score
Ray Daniels suggests using European Ale (WLP011, or Wyeast 1338) or a "low attenuating Irish strain" which I have yet to find. If anyone has experience with these yeasts could you give me some details about them. Thanks.

Why not use the Edinburgah Ale yeast (WLP028)? I really do like that one, but Jamil suggests WLP001, I've also done one with s-04 that turned out pretty good, I'd think that the "Irish ale yeast" (WLP004) would leave too much diacytl to be in style.

I'm partial to the WLP 028 Scottish Ale yeast. It works really well at around 60-62f.
Wyeast 1056 also works well. I have found it to be very versatile due to it's neutrality, and ability to ferment within a wide range of temps.

really that cold? Im brewing with 028 tomorrow and I was thinking under 70 would be fine

Ok so cold for the first few days then is it ok to let it warm up a to mid 60's? Its a PITA/ near impossible for me to keep it that cold for 2 weeks.

scottish ales are supposed to use a clean, low-attenuating ale yeast that works at low temperatures. The edinburgh is a fine yeast. Don't pay attention to the specs, it'll work fine at 60°F, as long as you have a good starter and rouse it to keep it going.

Really, tho, any clean ale yeast will work, even the higher attenuating ones. S-05, WLP001, nottingham, 1056...they'll all do great as long as you ferment low.

Really, tho, any clean ale yeast will work, even the higher attenuating ones. S-05, WLP001, nottingham, 1056...they'll all do great as long as you ferment low.

See, that's just never been my experience. The Chico strain always overattentuated, even when trying to offset that with a higher mash temp. Clean, yes...low-attenuating, no.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking for something that will keep a pronounced sweetness and malt body to the beer with a warmer fermentation temp since I can't cool my fermenter. What attenuation range have people gotten with the Scottish strain?

See, that's just never been my experience. The Chico strain always overattentuated, even when trying to offset that with a higher mash temp. Clean, yes...low-attenuating, no.

You're absolutely right. It won't be really "to style" using a highly attenuative yeast. It could still be a damn fine beer, just not to style.

There are some other things you can do, however. A SLIGHTLY higher mash temp will help...don't go crazy, at like 158°F, tho...that will taste like crap. 155°F should be fine.

An extra long boil time will be beneficial, creating some carmelization and flavor. Actually, even better than this, would be to remove about 1 gallon of wort and boil down to a quart, creating a dense, carmelized wort. Add this back at the end of the boil. THAT will give you that thick, sweet, molasses flavor.

Slightly off topic but how long are people aging their wee heavy? Whats the primary/ secondary bottle/ keg times?

The Scottish 80 I recently did using S-05 started at 1.048, finished at 1.014 and had a mash temp of 154F. I fermented it in the low 60s.

You're absolutely right. It won't be really "to style" using a highly attenuative yeast. It could still be a damn fine beer, just not to style.

There are some other things you can do, however. A SLIGHTLY higher mash temp will help...don't go crazy, at like 158°F, tho...that will taste like crap. 155°F should be fine.

An extra long boil time will be beneficial, creating some carmelization and flavor. Actually, even better than this, would be to remove about 1 gallon of wort and boil down to a quart, creating a dense, carmelized wort. Add this back at the end of the boil. THAT will give you that thick, sweet, molasses flavor.
I've never tried to boil down a section of the wort like that, that's a great idea. :mug:

I know that many people will say that WL001 or WY1056 are the way to go, per Jamil's recommendations. Not to say that this won't work, but I think WY Scottish ale is the way to go. I feel that it attenuates more properly and gives a mineral and faint peat taste to the beer. Many people add smoked malt to their scottish ales, but I think just using the proper strain will add this complexity naturally.

My 2 cents

I brewed a Midwest Scotish Export 80/-

used White Labs Edinburgh Ale 028

about to bottle it been in primary 4 1/2 weeks

tastes yummy so far

:mug:

Back