Best Yeast for Frozen Concentrate Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
What kind of yeast does everyone prefer when making a quick easy wine from frozen concentrate and why? First time I tried Montrachet and loved it. Second and third time I was told to use Lalvin 71b-1122 and it turned out really yeasty and not so good.

Thats a tough question to answer. For me it all depends on what wine I'm making from a concentrate. I like Cotes de blanc for apple and certain "white" fruit wines as it seems to hold some of the fruit flavor better. I've used premier cuvee for blackberry juice and had good success. Guess it depends on what your looking for and what style you want. I tend to get one I like and stick with it.

I am mainly doing grape concentrate. Tried a white grape and also a peach. I like my finished wine to be slightly sweet with good full flavor. Not overly dry. I still want to try a few other yeasts to see which one i like best. I still want to try d47, ec1118, and a couple of others. That's why I asking for feedback before trying them. I learned the hard way with these past two batches that are now a waste.

I don't use much concentrate, but I can say that K1-1116 works great on a cider (when fermented around 60F). D-47 is one of my favorites for off dry white wines.

d-47 for sure, concentrates are easy to do but probably aren't going to win you any awards...

I like Red Star Champagne yeast. I have used Premier Cuvee, it is a work horse, but for some reason, I keep going back to Champagne yeast.

Back