Best Yeast For Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamir

Reaction score
Hi :)

I intend to brew a Duvel-style Belgian Golden Strong Ale next week.

Unfortunately, I only have access to these yeasts:
WLP500, WLP510, WLP565
S-33, T58, Danstar Abbeye and Belle Saison.

What would be the best choice among theses, in your opinion?

I really want something that isn't too intensely fruity/spicy.

Thanks!

I often use 1214 which is rumored to be Wyeast's version of WLP500. I have used it in an all-pilsner patersbier and I am amazed at how Duvel-like it is. Keep the temp at 62 and it won't get too fruity/spicy on you.

I would choose 500 out of that list, but 530 or 570 would be even better choices if you can get your hands on them.

After a couple different belgians with T-58, its spicy all the time, relatively cooler ferment with a cider (62F) and I could swear theres black pepper in it (2 other batches of BDSA with T-58, at warmer temps gave the same black pepper spice).

A Belgian Black IPA with 1762 Belgian Abbey II that just finished conditioning. It came off very clean even at higher temps, it could be the hops and dark malts are covering any of the esters/phenols from the yeast, but I kept it at 78F for 2 weeks and under pitched by about 15% and it still came off as very clean.

510 could be interesting, descriptions place it as being balanced between fruit esters and spice notes, if you kept it low and a good healthy pitch it could keep it pretty clean without getting spicy. Following this thread for your results since my next big belgian I have planned will be a golden strong. Belgians IMHO are very driven by the temp and pitch rate, you can make a lot of continental strains of yeast very spice-y "belgian-y" with high temps and low pitch rates.

Unfortunately, I only have access to these strains. I wish I had WLP570.

I am afraid the WLP500 will take the beer to a whole other direction. Won't it?
The style should be quite refreshing, neutral, a bit hoppy.
I don't want a "Dubble/Triple" fruitiness to mask it.

Alright. Thanks.

Any impressions on WLP510 (Orval)?

Back