Best yeast for a Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing this one back...

What do you guys think of using London Ale yeasts in this, I like the flavor profile they give off for heavy beers. Also anyone else curious about WLP050 (whiskey yeast) for RIS brews. They claim it would work well for the application and I am guessing it would.

What do you guys think of using London Ale yeasts in this, I like the flavor profile they give off for heavy beers. Also anyone else curious about WLP050 (whiskey yeast) for RIS brews. They claim it would work well for the application and I am guessing it would.

1318 is fantastic for a RIS, i recently made my best variation of it with that yeast. if 050 is the one i'm thinking of from NHC it should work well. you could always split off part of the batch onto that if you want to give it a go

1318 is fantastic for a RIS, i recently made my best variation of it with that yeast. if 050 is the one i'm thinking of from NHC it should work well. you could always split off part of the batch onto that if you want to give it a go

That's London Ale III, which I personally like better than London Ale (1028). That beer style & yeast combination is killer, IMO.

I ended up using the Wyeast 1056 on this and it worked wonderfully. I wanted something which wasn't going to overpower the malt and that would be nice and neutral. This yeast worked perfectly. I've brewed the beer twice now, using that yeast, and will continue to do so going forward.

I'm looking for an OG around 1.090 with an SG hopefully somewhere in the 1.010 - 1.012 range. IBU's around 30.

Three packs of US-05 should do the trick. Took my 1.094 RIS down to 1.020 and I'm still working on the last few bottles I aged a year and a half later.

If you want to be adventurous use a mid-attenuating English yeast and a Brett strain like Wyeast Brett L or a WL Brett C. You got to mash high though like 160 if you want to end up in the mid 20s for gravity.

Latest posts

Back