best wine thief?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidisser

Reaction score
I'm thinking I want to get a wine thief for sampling my brews; I've had a really horrible time with messes and overpouring when I've tried it with the auto-siphon. Does anyone know where I can get a wine thief in Los Angeles? Alternatively, where's the best spot to get one online?
Thanks,
Dave

I've never tried this before, but couldn't you just use the racking cane like you would a straw in a soda? Dip it in put your finger over the end and pull out. Alternatively, use the body of the autosiphon like this to get a bigger sample.

Trouble with a turkey baster is the length. They just are not long enough to reach the beer in a carboy. I tried to connect a piece of tubing to my turkey baster and made an even bigger mess.

Get a pyrex pipette for what ever volume you need. This is my 1/10 ml pipette I use for refractometer use. Just got it today. The glass is 12" long. 1/10 ml is a perfect size for use with a refractometer... just a couple drops. Easy to sanitize/clean.

c70eef05d218b391e507f3aab755b082.jpg

I was a lab tech in the Navy so I'm pretty used to the pipette filler bulb :)

Back