Best Way To Un-Stick a Tap without breaking the Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premnasbiaculeatus

Reaction score
I just pulled my kegerator out of public storage after six months and the tap is basically epoxied closed at this point. I'm worried it will break if I try to force it open. I've been thinking about filling a corny with hot water an connceting it at 30 + PSI to see if it can clear, Also considering pulling the whole thing off and boiling it. Anyone dealt with a similar situation. In the past when it would get sticky I'd run hot water with sanitizer through it, but at this point I'm inclined to beleive that might not do the trick...

Anyone have any ideas short of buying a brand new faucet?

BTW: Don't say buy a perlick... I know there are ways to avoid this situation all together, I just want a solution to the situation I'm already dealing with.

You can't get the faucet apart at all? I'd disassemble as much as you can then soak in a hot PBW solution.

I just pulled my kegerator out of public storage after six months and the tap is basically epoxied closed at this point. I'm worried it will break if I try to force it open. I've been thinking about filling a corny with hot water an connceting it at 30 + PSI to see if it can clear, Also considering pulling the whole thing off and boiling it. Anyone dealt with a similar situation. In the past when it would get sticky I'd run hot water with sanitizer through it, but at this point I'm inclined to beleive that might not do the trick...

Anyone have any ideas short of buying a brand new faucet?

BTW: Don't say buy a perlick... I know there are ways to avoid this situation all together, I just want a solution to the situation I'm already dealing with.

Heat is your friend. If you can get the faucet off the shank with a faucet wrench, just plop the whole thing into very warm water (boiling is not necessary) and let it sit for an hour or so and everything should loosen up for you to get it apart. A PBW soak after that is a must. If it has been quite a while, you might want to remove the shank as well and soak that too - especially if you can't get the faucet off the shank.

About the only way to avoid such a situation in the future for the rear sealing faucets like this is to make sure you cycle beer through it at least once day, if not twice. If you drink homebrew regularly, that shouldn't be a problem. Then there is also that Perlick faucet thing...:cross:

Back