Best way to save sour slurry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
I have a sour brown 2nd gen roeselare cake that also has many good bottle dregs added to it. I want to save some to add to other sours I brew down the line.

If I rack this beer to 2ndary today I was thinking of a few different ways to save the slurry:

-sanitized mason jar
-sanitized and capped 12oz bottles
-sanitized centrifuge tube

The cake is pretty pure (the 2 beers on it didn't have many hops and they were both strained through paint strainers) so I feel like I shouldnt be too concerned about washing, especially because I won't be using this slurry for primary fermentations.

any thoughts?

All your ways will work. The big things to be concerned with is making sure the gravity is stable if you are going to enclose the yeast as in the mason jar or capped bottles. More than likely you are refridgating them so they shouldn't continue to work on the sugars. Also reducing the amount of air in the container by flushing with CO2 or mimizing headspace will help.

Another way to keep them more viable is to rack them to a smaller jar with an airlock and keep them feed every few months with extra wort.

I was under the impression that if you saved Roeselare, that the ratios of lacto to funk to sacc. would be off. Am I remembering wrong or would that be okay for use in secondary fermentations?

I'm curious because I have an Oud Bruin coming to transferring time in a few months.

I was under the impression that if you saved Roeselare, that the ratios of lacto to funk to sacc. would be off. Am I remembering wrong or would that be okay for use in secondary fermentations?

I'm curious because I have an Oud Bruin coming to transferring time in a few months.

At some point they will go out of wack.
You will get something undrinkable.

That being said i would pitch some of the slurry with fresh bugs.
oldsock and other feel free to chime in as you all have years and many sour batches on me.

Back