Best way to save hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finster

Reaction score
Until now Ive always bought hops (and everything else for that matter) on a need to brew basis. Now my regular supplier is out of EVERYTHING. Both kegs empty, fermenters empty, this blows.
So I want to buy a few varietys in bulk but I was wondering about the best way to save them.
Can hops be frozen or should they be vacuum packed with a food saver, or maybe both? Ive never had hops on hand for more than a week or so.

Best long term storage would be vacuum sealed in the freezer. Just wrapped in plastic bags and frozen is how I store mine.

If its going to be months, use the food saver, if just weeks before the package is used up, don't bother. I know some guys buy hops in bulk, like a pound at a time and then break that up into 2-4 ounce packages and vacuum seal those, that way they are only opening the small packages one at a time.

Back