Quantcast

Best way to make labels?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

1stTimer

Reaction score
I will be bottling my second batch, a porter, in a week or two. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a label maker or a way to make labels. I really want to make up my own labels. I’m not sure why, but I just do. I’m a decent graphic artist so I’m looking forward to coming up with something. Thanks for any help.

flylock_jac

Reaction score
Look just above your post where there is a sticky for seal ,label generator.
couple different links there.

keelanfish

Reaction score
plain white copy paper, laser printer, razor and straight edge. Dip in milk, or brush back with milk (I use 2%) and stick to the bottle. Works great and is really easy to remove and clean to reuse bottle.

OP
1stTimer

1stTimer

Reaction score
Thanks for input guys. I wasnt sure if regular paper would hold up. I thought it might have to be some kind of special lamanent or something. I've got some great drawings at home. Ill put them up here when I get them done. Thanks again.

OP
1stTimer

1stTimer

Reaction score
On an unrelated topic, how do I get the information about my primary, Secondary and bottles to show up on my posts?

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
Go with 24lb paper or higher in my opinion...
regular old 20 lb works, but once you try 24, you'll never go back.... okay, maybe you'll go back, but 24's still better. :)

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Thanks for input guys. I wasnt sure if regular paper would hold up. I thought it might have to be some kind of special lamanent or something. I've got some great drawings at home. Ill put them up here when I get them done. Thanks again.
They hold up fine until they get wet ;) Laminates are going to cost you more than the beer... Don't just inkjet, it will run if the bottles sweat. Color laser is the way to go...

Superdave

Reaction score
I've had Kinko's print up labels for me a couple times. They have a self-adhesive paper and laser printers. They seem to hold up okay to being in a cooler of water.

No idea how easy to remove, I've only done them for bottles to give away.

I simply designed labels that fit four rectangles to a normal sized sheet of paper (easy to cut with a paper cutter) and brought the file in on a flash drive.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm... I just realized that my work has a color laser... And I'm the computer guy! He he.. I know where i"m printing my next set!

Although, TBH, a decent inkjet prints a better image than even a real good color laser. Studies have shown and my test have proven it. I was surprised, but unless you go REAL expensive on the laser, an inkjet usually looks better.

conpewter

Reaction score
Problem is Inkjet ink will bleed, so if you print on a self adhesive paper (no milk) and don't get it wet you are OK, otherwise....