Best way to kill yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
I have tried potassium sorbate and super kleer, but none of then seem to do the job very effectively, especially the sorbate. Ideally i would like to be able to stop fermentation when there is still some sugar left.

northern brewer has a plate filter that could do this. However it looks like it would be about as much work or more as reracking and cold crashing. . . both seem to basically take the yeast out as opposed to killing it. if your trying to stop fermentation short I'd rerack to another carboy and cold crash if possible.

cold crashing, freezing, etc is somewhat dangerous if fermentation isn't complete enough. If you're not kegging it and you let them sit for any length of time at room temp (are you carbing this?) you could run into bottle bombs. If this is going to be something still, sure, cold crash it. But I betcha they wake up again if you don't keep chilled. Just my two cents.

I put it in the fridge for a few days then racked then added super kleer and I have it in the fridge now but its still fermenting! I will check the temperature...

what kind of yeast are you using? I've cold crashed for years, store at room temperature for 12+ months and have only had one bottle break a few years ago (that was with a wild yeast ferment that I crashed at 1.020, and it didnt break until August of the following year). I've never had any problem crashing with ale yeasts. Use an ale yeast, dont use nutrients and make sure you leave behind at least a pint of liquid on the rack following the crash and you wont have any problems

Or I could add the easy answer of back sweetening with something like splenda that is none fermentable.
Lactose, etc would also work.
Usually I make dry meads, and age it a long time before bottling and crash cool twice. Once before kegging, and from the keg to the bottle. A little over kill but a shotgun doesnt work.
Sometimes I will add a little acid blend and a small amount of splenda. (I don't really like the taste, but just a little really makes a big difference).

Back