Best way to fill a growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I am going home in a week and would like to bring some homebrew with me. Before when I bottled this wasn't an issue. Now that I keg I am not sure what the best way to fill a growler is.
Thanks in advance!

I turn down the co2 to 1-2psi. Then fill and cap. Not sure how long it will keep, because it is usually drank within a couple of hours.

I have been to brewpubs and they put a hose on the tap , so that the beer fills from the bottom. Bartenders have told me that you can store up to a week. If you open it, the beer needs to be drank within 24 hours.

I was thinking about rigging something like this up(as I serve out of picnic taps anyway) Does the #6 stopper fit in a "standard" growler(swing top)?
Should I chill or freeze the growler before filling?

I dont' have swing tops- I have the bar growlers. I use a #6 stopper for those. A carboy uses a #6.5 stopper, to give you an idea of size.

You can freeze the growler, and turn the psi way down!

I dont' have swing tops- I have the bar growlers. I use a #6 stopper for those. A carboy uses a #6.5 stopper, to give you an idea of size.

You can freeze the growler, and turn the psi way down!

OK I will have to bring my growler into the LHBS then. Thanks for the help :mug:

I throw the growler in the freezer or fridge depending on which growler to get it nice and cold. I then turn the PSI down to around 2. Attach a hose to the tap and pour slowly from the bottom and fill the top until the head spills out of the growler.

I throw the growler in the freezer or fridge depending on which growler to get it nice and cold. I then turn the PSI down to around 2. Attach a hose to the tap and pour slowly from the bottom and fill the top until the head spills out of the growler.

How long does this hold carbonation? all I'm looking for is 24-48 hours

You'll be good to go ... I've never tried longer than 48 ... My local puts a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the cap/glass junction, although I'm not sure what that does ..

You'll be good to go ... I've never tried longer than 48 ... My local puts a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the cap/glass junction, although I'm not sure what that does ..

That is to make it a "closed" container. Silly ABC law...

at least SC does growlers ... Atlanta has not ever done them but is about to starting tomorrow (already two in athens) they found a slight loophole :)

Jewrican said:
at least SC does growlers ... Atlanta has not ever done them but is about to starting tomorrow (already two in athens) they found a slight loophole :)

I had no idea !!! It's great that they're starting !

I use a piece of tubing slipped onto the perlick, growler out of the freezer for just a bit to get the temp just above freezing. I don't turn the pressure down, just fill from the bottom and fill until it is full of beer no foam. Put the cap on and good to go. Has held pressure for a week on a test fill. You have live beer in there sanitize the tubing, the growler, and the lid before filling.

Back