Best way to cook a boar leg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTheBrewist

Reaction score
A friend told me that he has a frozen boar leg given to him by another friend who is a hunter (Don't know actual size or weight of this piece, but apparently small enough to be considered as from a meat hog). He said it's a complete leg about 2' long. He asked me if I'd help him cook it, so I jumped on the chance to try it.

I don't have a pit, but I do have a UDS and a large flower pot smoker. Any suggestions as to how I should prepare and cook this thing?

My first thought was to cut it into two pieces, trim the fat, and treat it like a butt and a picnic...

Treat it just like a butt...or...
Smoke it.
Braise it, then smoke it.
Sear, then Roast it: 325* for 3-4 hours.

Man im jealous!

Wild hog is much leaner than the pork we get in the store. The ones I roasted always came out a bit dry. Nowadays I always braise them to keep them moist. Like Kahler said, smoking at some point would do a lot for flavor. Personally I think I'd try to smoke it first and then braise as I think it would take up more smoke flavor if it's not already cooked.

I was thinking to inject it and smoke it (low & slow) a la sawdustguy. Just wasn't sure if there was something else I should be doing with it.

I was thinking to inject it and smoke it (low & slow) a la sawdustguy. Just wasn't sure if there was something else I should be doing with it.

I would do a Bit of Both Inject it with some "seasoned red wine" After a VERY Sweet Brine(think Brown Sugar or Honey ham sweet) The Slow Roast/Smoke it, Keep it to a Light smoke, more of a slow roast. Just what i would do.

Back