Best way to cold condition my Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CouchFarmer

Reaction score
I've just brewed my first Altbier, using the guidelines from Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers for my recipe. He recommends a month of cold conditioning which I'm happy to do.

My question is: should I carbonate my corny to serving pressure first then put it in my fridge or should I rack the beer to the corny and put it in the fridge first and then carbonate a month later when it's time to serve it? Does it even matter if I store it first or carbonate first?

or should I rack the beer to the corny and put it in the fridge first and then carbonate a month later when it's time to serve it?

I would suggest you do this only because it was what I was taught to do. Im not sure if it would matter if you would carb it first except to keep your dirty hands off the tap.:D

I bottle condition a month, so this isn't really important to me or my altbier, but:

I would suggest you do this only because it was what I was taught to do. Im not sure if it would matter if you would carb it first except to keep your dirty hands off the tap.:D

HAHAHAHA! (coffee/keyboard; "RICLARK," you owe me a new one!)

I racked my Alt to a secondary better bottle (after 4 weeks in primary) and put in fridge for about 30 days at 36degrees, then to keg at 15psi for about 7 days. The taste is malty and not very hoppy.

Back