best way to clean your copper wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
I made a mistake leaving my copper chiller in a tub of water. it has a lot of crusty green tarnish on it. I tried soap and a scrub pad and then vinigar and a paper towel. It still needs work. any ideas ?? i was thinking a tub with some oxy clean for a couple of hours. I'm brewing tonight so i need to get this clean. Thanks for any help

My wort chiller has had a nice tarnish on it for over a year. I doesn't have to be shiny, just clean. I simply rinse mine off when finished. 15 minutes in the boiling wort will kill any bad guys on it. Don't worry....brew away.

Bar Keepers Friend will clean it up. You can get it almost anywhere (Home Depot, some grocery stores).

I would think oxyclean would make it worse. I'm surprised the vinegar didn't work - anything acidic (including your wort) should take that verdigris right off. [I've read that you shouldn't eat it, tho, so maybe not your wort]

Bar Keepers Friend will clean it up. You can get it almost anywhere (Home Depot, some grocery stores).

I would think oxyclean would make it worse. I'm surprised the vinegar didn't work - anything acidic (including your wort) should take that verdigris right off. [I've read that you shouldn't eat it, tho, so maybe not your wort]

I agree, Try a stronger acid for longer. I have some pretty strong BSR(Beer Stone Remover) at work and that took it right off. It probably needs a longer soak if it is a weak acid like vineger

+1 for BKF. I use that on my brew kettles as well as the wort chiller. You can sometimes find it in the grocery stores, next to the chlorine based kitchen cleansers (Comet, etc.)

Back