Best way to clean carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthon710

Reaction score
Hi

I just finished brewing my first batch, what's the best way to fully clean out my carboy so it's ready for the next batch in a couple weeks?

I just fill my carboys with warm water and a few ounces of PBW and let it soak for a day or so. Drain, rinse well, and it's clean. Then just sanitize like you normally would before you brew.

Oxyclean works well too. I rinse out first then use a scoop of oxyclean with a quart or so of hot tap water. Put hand over opening and shake a few times to dissolve the oxyclean and help break loose some of the krausen buildup. Finish filling and let it sit, topping off until full, let sit until clean. You can use a cloth to clean the neck. Be sure to rinse well.

Bob

I used to use a tbsp of B-Brite per gal of hot water & let it sit for about an hour & rinse. Now I put the same ratio in my Marks car out/keg washer & let it do its thing then rinse

I put mine over my jet bottle washer, and blast it with hot water for a few minutes, that usually gets it very clean. Then I mix about 3 gallons of water with sanitizer, swish it around hard for 10 seconds, then let it sit. Then swish it around again, and dump it, then let it dry upside down.

Brewers:
I had been warned about scratching a PET 'boy if I used a plastic bristle brush, so I didn't buy one. Yesterday, I had to rack....was getting late in the primary. After, I have the inch-wide band of brown yeast that even 1-Step wouldn't dissolve. In desperation I stuffed a pad of kleenex in, added water and rubbed the little buggers off the wall with a Swiffer handle. It's all plastic, so should be soft enuf. One improvement would be to use a piece of cotton cloth, as kleenex contains wood products, but cotton is all cellulose. Your mileage may vary.

i used to use a tbsp of b-brite per gal of hot water & let it sit for about an hour & rinse. Now i put the same ratio in my marks car out/keg washer & let it do its thing then rinse

+1

Back