Best way to clarify a cider after primary?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

carlsonderek

Reaction score
So I had a bunch of cider fermenting in primary, nearing its end. It came out pretty cloudy still, as I ran out of Pectic enzyme at the last send before pitching the yeast. Now that fermentation is finished, is it still possible to add more enzyme and help it clarify? I will eventually keg this so I don't care if it kills the yeast too, just wondering what my options are.
Thanks!

domilsean

Reaction score
If you've got the patience for it, just let it sit in secondary for awhile until it clears. Otherwise, I have used Super-Kleer KC with much success.

OP
C

carlsonderek

Reaction score
If you've got the patience for it, just let it sit in secondary for awhile until it clears. Otherwise, I have used Super-Kleer KC with much success.

Wow the customer reviews for that stuff on Northern Brewer are 5 stars through and through. I'll look into. How does it affect taste, if at all?

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Easiest, cheapest & (IMHO) the BEST way to clear a cider is simply rack to secondary & wait. That cider will clear just fine, all by itself. I've never used any fining agents & all my cider/graff/wine/mead/etc...
is nice & clear.
Regards, GF.

MarkKF

Reaction score
Easiest, cheapest & (IMHO) the BEST way to clear a cider is simply rack to secondary & wait. That cider will clear just fine, all by itself. I've never used any fining agents & all my cider/graff/wine/mead/etc...is nice & clear.
+1 :ban:

Fuzzymittenbrewing

Reaction score
Easiest, cheapest & (IMHO) the BEST way to clear a cider is simply rack to secondary & wait. That cider will clear just fine, all by itself. I've never used any fining agents & all my cider/graff/wine/mead/etc...
is nice & clear.
Regards, GF.
Was definitely racked to secondary then added. I get the waiting is free but pe isn't exactly breaking the bank at 1.50 a bottle.

OP
C

carlsonderek

Reaction score
Yeah I know waiting is the way to go. I have a big party coming up, and I was HOPING to hurry it along, even though I know that's not the best. Taste is doing well right now despite being young and this would really be cause I like a pretty product. I will likely try PE then cold crash after a week, but ultimately there'll be a game time decision (literally--it's a Super Bowl party)

Latest posts