Best way to add orange flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a nice, fresh, bright citrus and orange flavor with a nose full of Mandarin, Tangerine and sweet orange. There is medium light body and mouthfeel. The only thing I don't like about the flavor is a slight bitterness in the finish. I'm thinking it is from whole Mandarin orange slices added to the fermentor after fermentation. I would not have expected that, because Mandarin oranges have very little white under the peel. Anyway, it should be just fine without them. Next time I'll make it the same except I'll leave out the orange slices. This is still very drinkable and refreshing. :)

On re-tasting, I'd say that slight bitterness is not that noticeable, and not at all detracting. I'm just being picky. Thanks for all the help in putting this brew together - lots of good suggestions.

Well it certainly has the look of an orange wheat beer. Nice job, would you brew it again or change anything?

My wife just asked me to brew this again, after my son noticed that the keg is getting light. As for changing anything, I don't think I would change much, if anything. Maybe give it a 3 weeks in the fridge to mellow and the flavors to blend before trying it. That slight bitter taste has all but vanished. In fact, I can no longer taste it. The flavors seem to have blended a bit, and taken on a nice mellow flavor that is very pleasing. What I at first perceived as bitter has morphed into a character similar to Curacao orange peel, but very mild. I like it. There was no bitter orange peel added. Maybe it's from the whole orange slices in the secondary? My thanks all the contributors. I used most of the suggestions: orange/citrus flavored hops, whole Mandarin oranges (sliced of course), sweet orange zest and fresh Mandarin orange juice.

Have you done this? Adding fresh squeezed orange juice to the secondary, I mean? It had occurred to me to add sliced oranges to the secondary,but I was kind of iffy on doing that. I've read that some orange juice is added to Hitachino's Nest, and that is a good tasting beer.
I have a Berliner weiss recipe that I sour. I do add juice from tangerines during fermentation when Ph reaches a certain point. I peel then freeze the fresh tangerines then defrost and juice them when I need to add to the fermentor. Works great for me and puts in a good amount of flavor. I would say a minimum of 1lb fruit per gallon of beer. I used 5lb of tangerine in a 5 gallon batch and next time will increase that to 7.5 for more flavor.

I have a Berliner weiss recipe that I sour. I do add juice from tangerines during fermentation when Ph reaches a certain point. I peel then freeze the fresh tangerines then defrost and juice them when I need to add to the fermentor. Works great for me and puts in a good amount of flavor. I would say a minimum of 1lb fruit per gallon of beer. I used 5lb of tangerine in a 5 gallon batch and next time will increase that to 7.5 for more flavor.
Although you are responding to a 6 year old thread, I’ll go ahead and add that the simplest way, for me, is cans of OJ concentrate after fermentation.

Hi Okiedog, was wondering if you’ve done this beer again? And have changed anything since? I am going to attempt and orange vanilla wheat and would saw your post. Was wondering how many gallons this made if you remember. Thank you.

Back