Best way to add orange, boil or vodka infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo

Reaction score
Please help here guys, I'm mashing as I type, brewing a wit beer like blue moon.
I saw all clone recipes here saying about boiling the dry orange peel but what about soaking the fresh peels in vodka for 2 days and adding that to the primary?
I thought that this process would avoid extracting the bitter flavor from the peels.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I would go the infusion route. Sweet orange, when boiled, can have a bit of a ham aroma. But I would soak for 2+ weeks and add to secondary.

And, FWIW, I wouldn't call Blue Moon a "wit." That's like calling spaghetti and meatballs "Italian food." Blue Moon is an American wheat beer very loosely 'inspired' by Belgian white beers.

I've added bitter or sweet orange peel to the boil for the last 15 minutes and all my batches that I've used it in have turned out great. That's how I've made all my blue moon clones.

Back