best way to add honey to cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
ok I got a batch of hard cider that has been sitting in the carboy sense early November. Im going to be moving it to a secondary carboy and add honey. Now how is the best way to add the honey? should I boil some water and add the honey to the boiling water then add it to the secondary? or should I just add the honey as is to the secondary?

also should I cold crash the cider before moving to the secondary?

Honey is high enough in sugar content that it doesn't need to be heated up/boiled. I would heat it up some so that it will incorporate with the cider better. But if you just pour it in at room temp, it will eventually blend with the cider.

I would add honey an water or maybe apple juice and honey. But I wouldn't boil any thing just set the heat at 110°

A simple drill mounted stirrer will get anything, even crystalized honey, into your cider and degass a little while its doing it. Are you going to stablize with sorbate before you add your honey? WVMJ

Mix honey and juice until dissolved, then add to main batch. Heating can help blend the honey, but like the others said boiling is unnecessary since honey is naturally aseptic.

I would think you would want to stabilize your cider first. Are you looking for honey flavor? Or just more alcohol?

Back