Best Way to Add Body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackHat

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a dark beer not unlike Guinness Extra Stout and I want to make sure this beer has a lot of body. Most recipes I know of call for 1# of lactose to add body - including a clone recipe I found for Guinness E.S., but I want more than that. Is it overkill to create a beer with two or more pounds of lactose? Or is there a better way to add body to beer?

I'd say a ponud of lactose will give you a very nice sweet stout, and Guinness ES is not a sweet stout. I would recomend using CaraPils or and malt that has "dextrin" attached to it's name. Dextrins are what gives the beer body.

+1, a dextrinous malt will give you body without adding sweetness. Make sure you use flaked barley in there too.

CaraPils, Wheat Malt, Flaked Wheat, Barley, or Oatmeal. All good ways to get better body and you can mix and match them.

:drunk:

Back