Best way lower the ABV and backsweeten at same time.. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colbizle

Reaction score
Used cotes de blanc dry yeast

Original Gravity 1.066

FG 0.099 - 1.000 ish.. hard to tell on hydro..

Racked my 5g cider to two 3g carboys (one with cinnamon, one without..swmbo does not like cinnamon) currently clarifying..

Tasted it the other day and HOT DAMN is it strong.. Taste isn't bad, but man you can really taste the alcohol and it super dry... which makes sense since it went from 66 to 0.099... and now the ABV is at 9.98% :drunk:

Either way I want to backsweeten it.. My plan was to backsweeten, bottle carb, stove top pasteurize.

How can I lower the ABV and backsweeten it at the same time? What amounts of of apple juice concentrate/water mix or straight apple juice should I use? Which one will taste better?

Hoping to get down to 6-7% abv range if possible.. will settle for 8% :(

Thanks!

I'd add Straight A.J and to get the amount take 1.2 gal off your brew put it in a gal mason jar or something like it. add a little AJ check with hydro add a little check and so on till you get what you want then do the math conversion from 1/2 gal to 1.6 gallons which is 1/3 of 5gallons(since you have three separate containers all with 1/3 of 5gals but I personally with the cinnamon would rather it be stronger so i wouldn't have to drink as much. Imo cinnamon gets old real fast. Just age it so theres not so much of a hot bite...

Back