Best Wash DC area brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicalorado

Reaction score
I'm going on a business trip soon that will take me into Washington, DC, but will be spending the majority of my time in Winchester, VA. I always love to check out the local brews wherever I am. What are the best breweries/brew pubs that I need to check out?

I was in the D.C. area this past weekend and went to the Sweetwater Tavern and Brewery in Centreville (Edit: it was their Falls Church location). It was a very good experience. Fantastic food and about 8 beers on tap. I got the beer sampler with 5 of the beers served in mini-pilsner glasses. The pale ale was my favorite. Prices weren't bad either. They had a 9.5% imperial stout that was only $4.50/pint.

Let me know what you think if you check it out.

Back when I lived in Leesburg, Tuscarora Mill was the place me and my buddies would go to if we wanted some good beer. Looks like it's still around, but I haven't been there in about five years so I can't vouch for the food/beer now, but their online menu looks pretty good! Tuskies was the first place I ever had Barleywine...yum! It's on the way from Dulles to Winchester, right off Rt 7 near the center of Leesburg.

Just across from Union Station is Capitol City Brewing Co. They're a pretty mainstream brewpub and very touristy, but their Kölsch is outstanding! Maybe the best I've had. My office is just six blocks from Union Station and we congregate there on occasion after work.

They have another location in the DC area. So I don't know when or where in DC you'll be, but you should definitely look them up.

Not sure about what's in Winchester. We usually drive straight through it on the way to the In-Law's place in Roanoke. I don't think there's much there. A Local may correct me, however.

If your spending alot of time in Winchester, Va go to Union Jacks. Good selection of brew but don't make there own. Also you may be close to a DuClaw which is good too.

There is a brewpub in downtown winchester but the brews and food arent that good. I forget the name. There is a DFH brewpub in Gaithersburg which is excellent. Capitol city is good too. The Flying Dog brewery is in Frederick. That place rocks! They do tours every saturday for 5or 10 bucks and you get to sample alot of there brews on tap.

If can get to downtown DC (Dupont Circle area), you have to try out the Brickskeller -- they don't always have them all in stock, but their beer list is over ONE THOUSAND strong. I tried some of my very first belgians there, 10 years ago, and I've never looked back.

Also, Dogfish Head (in Delaware) is almost local, and is one of the best craft breweries in America.

If can get to downtown DC (Dupont Circle area), you have to try out the Brickskeller -- they don't always have them all in stock, but their beer list is over ONE THOUSAND strong. I tried some of my very first belgians there, 10 years ago, and I've never looked back.

+1 on the Brickseller. Great place and check out their beer list http://www.lovethebeer.com/beer-list.html

Back