Best time to take SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveVanO

Reaction score
Is it the best time/way to take an SG after you've added all (except the yeast) and mixed the stuff into the carboy? Then just dump some into the test tube and after getting SG. just get rid of the sample?

New to brewing, just getting some feedback.

awesome thanks. Glad i can get all the helpful information I need on here. I made a few batches of mead today. but of course didnt take SG.. would it be too late? I made them like...6-10 hours ago?

It's definitely not too late, the gravity shouldn't have really changed at all in that small of a time period. And honestly, as long as you sanitize all the equipment you take the sample with there's no need to dump it out afterwards, I always add it back to the batch and I've never had any problems.

I cant take the SG as I dont have any time. How much would it be changed in 2 days (Sunday)? I am gone all tomorrow (Saturday). So i cant take it now.

Should i just wait until it stops going all in all. like bubbles every...minute+. And then campden it or meta-bisulfate. Sounds fine? Or should i take the gravity when I get back. Thanks in advance

Back