Best time/place to buy bulk hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
I just got a lb of citra and mosaic hops from yakima. Im ok with the price compared to most online retailers, but feel I can do better. Considering buying a 5lb pr even 11lb bag when the time comes.

Is hopsdirect my best bet? If so, what time of year? Where else if not them?

Man that's a lot of hops . You must break em down to 1 oz increments and vacuum seal. How long will hops last as long as they're sealed and kept in the freezer?

Man that's a lot of hops . You must break em down to 1 oz increments and vacuum seal. How long will hops last as long as they're sealed and kept in the freezer?

I'm brewing 12 gallon batches. A zombie dust clone is a full lb of citra. Neipas are hard on hops as well. I do vaccum seal mine in about 8oz bags.

I have been buying from Hopsdirect.com for a couple years now. I buy their 1 pound packages. I have mylar zip loc bags from amazon that I use for the hops. it's not a vac seal situation. I simply squeeze out the extra air in the bag. Most important part is keeping all of this in the freezer. Haven't noticed any flavor issues with this method.

Get on YVH's email list and you'll have prior notice when they do flash sales. Last couple months I've stocked up on Citra and Sabro by simply watching my emails.

This year was apparently a bumper crop for most of their hops, so they have been doing lots of flash sales. Gotta love all the rain we got last fall/this winter! Next season should be a good one as well.

I buy from Hops Direct and Yakima. I keep resisting the urge to buy their sales recently as I have 30 lbs in the Freezer. But I really could do with some Mosaic.

11 lbs of any hop is a lot to get through. You might want to think carefully about it.

1 lbs of hops in a 12 gallon batch doesn't seem that much.

I’m seeing minimum shipping to Chicago of $15 per order on Hopsdirect and $8 on Yakima. Still beats buying $3 1oz packages from the LHBS but requires a substantial purchase to justify those shipping costs.

HopHavoc.com

Another good source.

If you have a freezer, buy up a 11 pound box and divide them up into 1 pound bags, then vacuum seal, with a note inside as to the contents.

I was brewing two ten gallon batches in tandem every other week for a long time, one buddy would come over and help one week and get half, another the next time.

About Lupulin Exchange, you can but less than the entire lot. One box or can of extract, just have to negotiate with the seller. Sometimes, if it is brewery, they will toss in smaller amounts of what they have leftover in partial bags for a minimal charge, one just has to talk to them and ask.

I buy 1lb increments, in freezer vacuum sealed. Cut them open to use, then reseal. I don't generally have a problem. Hops Direct is where I go. I'm unwilling to pay $$ for the popular hops, so I use the less popular ones.

Hop Heaven is an ebay store that has top notch hops and will sell in that large a quantity. Ive been buying for years from him and am very impressed.

What's the lowest price you have seen Citra hops on Yakima's site? I ordered from hops direct about a year ago and it was 19.11 a pound including shipping a discount codes.

Latest posts

Back