Best temperature and duration for smoking malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I smoke a lot of meat, see here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f172/pig-down-meat-smoked-290346/

I can cold smoke, warm smoke, hot smoke, or bbq. I'm thinking that cold smoke would be the best for malt, maybe a light smoke for a day while I do some venison prosciutto that I've got going.

Anyway, any input on this? I've found some instructions on the web and they're not very detail oriented.

Also if anyone reading this has the Alaskan Smoked Porter clone recipe, I'll take that!

A friend/co-worker has a green egg smoker that he fired up with some mesquite, at about 140 F for about 20 mins yielded a mild smoked malt, we spritz the malt a bit before and during in an attempt to minimize browning, and to increase retention of the smoke. I have yet to brew with it, but find it addicting to munch on....Next time I have him smoke malt for me I will have him do it for perhaps a bit longer, possibly twice as long....

I just wary of getting an acrid burnt flavor, I wanted more of the smokey mesquite essence to come through.

Back