Best sweetner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
Well I tried a sample of my first cider today and without sugar it was pretty undrinkable but when i added just a touch of sugar it was much better. Is there a preferred sweetner

Well I tried a sample of my first cider today and without sugar it was pretty undrinkable but when i added just a touch of sugar it was much better. Is there a preferred sweetner

Many folks use fresh cider to sweeten. Also frozen concentrate apple juice.

I've used both. They will ferment thought. but if yer bottling sweet carbonated its good

so what should i use a gallon or maybe half gallon of fresh apple juice to sweeten a 2.5 gallon batch? also how quickly will it ferment out?

so what should i use a gallon or maybe half gallon of fresh apple juice to sweeten a 2.5 gallon batch? also how quickly will it ferment out?

I don't know the numbers, you could add till it tastes right, then add dextrose to prime then bottle and pasteurize I guess.

I'm sure a search will find folks backsweetening with cider.

Make sure you know what you are doing. Apple juice will ferment out unless you do something to kill the yeast to prevent it from fermenting. Adding apple juice and priming sugar just seems to be a recipe for disaster.

You can do it, but you need to know what you are doing to prevent having bottle bombs.

Back