Best Submersible Pump For Line Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffm33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have ten feet of lines per tap (and two taps).

I am going to use...

BALL LOCK KEG QD JUMPER POST FOR CLEANING

...and...

BALL LOCK KEG DISCONNECT - BEER SIDE - MALE FLARE MFL

...with swivel adapter to connect my kegerator liquid line to a pump to recirculate BLC through my lines.

What is the best pump to use that could handle recirculating through both tap lines but wouldn't be overkill if I wanted to do one at a time?

Am I missing anything else? Simpler pump based solutions?

NOTE: I already have the Flowmaster DIY version but looking for a pump based solution so I can recirculate.

I use my Marks Keg Washer. I use an adapter that connects liquid out ball lock to liquid out ball lock and connect a piece of 1/2 silicone tubing to my tap that drains back into the basin of the keg washer. I recirculate BLC for half an hour then rinse w/ hot water for 10-15 minutes.

This one's better:

Pump

I use one to clean 3 lines at once, and I have a second I use as a carboy/keg washer. It's got enough 'oomph' to run a rotating spray ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same pump as The Bishop. It comes with a 1/2 barb so I put a length of silicone tubing from the barb straight onto my first tap, optionally jumper 2 beer lines together with the jumper you linked, put a stainless steel carb cap on the dirty beer line connector and drop that end in the bucket for return. I close the keezer lid on the line hanging out.

Open the faucet and plug in the pump. Few minutes of BLC water (if I see any clingers in the line I massage the spot with my hands and they break free easily), few minutes of clean water, couple minutes of Star San. I think the tiny holes in the jumper post are the restriction in the system. It's not a fire hose, but a nice steady stream.

I had ordered the 264 gph pump and wasn't able to cancel it before regret sank in :)

It works fine through 10ft of beverage line for a single tap. Didn't try to jump the two taps together yet but I don't think I will have enough flow. Oh well, live and learn.

A little late to the party, and I think you already answered your own question. Hopefully this helps others though. I had one of those small pumps and it didn't work with the jumper between my two lines. But now I have a 1/3 HP Superior Pump and the thing is POWERFUL. I initially purchased it as an upgrade for a keg washer, but I'm using it double duty. You probably don't need the 1/3 HP version (1/4 or 1/5 should be plenty), but I got it because it was about the same price at the time. It's quite loud while it's running, but it keeps a good flow rate through my two lines jumpered together when I recirculate.

The hookup to the kegerator is a bit convoluted, however. It comes with an adapter to get you to a garden hose thread, then I have an adapter to 1/2" female NPT, then a male camlock, then a 1/2" ID silicone tube with female camlock, and I shove the hose onto the faucet.

I had one of those. After a while, it started leaking oil at the bottom seal. That was fun, it required total disassembly and degreasing of the 5 kegs I washed that day.

Raising this thread from the dead.........

I had one of those. After a while, it started leaking oil at the bottom seal. That was fun, it required total disassembly and degreasing of the 5 kegs I washed that day.

I have the same superior pump, but mine is 1/4hp. Were the oils you saw leaking white in color? If not, then I may have another problem. I quit using it for my beer lines as the 2 top "stainless" screws are rusty now. I may chuck it.

I'm leaning to something smaller that I can drop in a 2-3 gallon kettle and run cleaner, rinse, sanitizer through my lines. I like the 880GPH pump mentioned as I can drop it in a small kettle and let it do it's job.

I've also thought about just recommission my cousin's Steelhead pump since he replaced it with a Riptide. This way I could run near boiling temps through the lines to do a better job. I worry about anything hotter with these other pumps since they are not labeled food grade.

It's been a long while, but when the oil was mixing with the water, it might have been white.

In any situation, I'd steer clear of any oil filled pump when it comes to food and beverage.

Also: Be careful about running too-hot cleaning solution through the lines, they're not designed for high temps. It could melt/degrade them. I have never had an issue with using 100f cleaner, but in this case hotter is not better and the cleaner doesn't really require it as long as you're using BLC with a beerstone remover afterwards.

Let’s raise this sucker again...

ive always just replaced my beer line a couple times per year since it’s so cheap. But recently i got a good deal on a 1100 gph pump.

when you guys clean your lines, do you turn your kegerator off since your leaving the door open?

I have a 20+ year old side-by-side fridge as my kegerator and hate stressing it out..

Oh and when i tried mark’s keg washer in the past, it really was barely strong enough to get any flow through my 15-20 ft lines. It would have taken all day.

Last edited:
I switch my keezer controller off - and stop my automated tap list so all that cleaning and rinsing fluid doesn't "empty" all of my kegs :)

Cheers!

I use a cheap Chinese tan pump with ball lock adapter and tap draining to pump suction through water bottle with tubing adapter cap.

Attachments

• scaled_image.jpg
    scaled_image.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 134
Back