Best style(s) for Safbrew T-58 & S-33?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKing

Reaction score
Both are stocked by my LHBS.
Can't decide what to make next, so figured I might try out a new dry yeast.

Any styles or basics on which each of these would work best in?

*bump

Planning on trying out the T-58 in something as follows:

Bries Brewers Malt............ 80%
Dingemans Munich............10%
Dingemans Pale Wheat......10%

1-2 lbs of honey

Sort of a Saison based grain bill, something simple and neutral to so I can see what this yeast will do.
Probably keep it between 5-6% ABV and 20-30 IBU's

Split the batch and use both yeasts to compare. The S-33 is crummy, though, and a fairly neutral, flavorless yeast that doesn't flocculate. T-58 is phenolic, and slightly Belgian-ish.

Split the batch and use both yeasts to compare. The S-33 is crummy, though, and a fairly neutral, flavorless yeast that doesn't flocculate. T-58 is phenolic, and slightly Belgian-ish.

S-33 actually has some nice flavor if you underpitch it in a Belgian style beer. I just did this with an Allagash White clone and I've heard the same from Denny's Evil Concoctions. Underpitch and let the beer warm during fermentation. It is sensitive to temperature fluctuations downwards and can stall out if you aren't mindful of that as fermentation slows down.

Back