Best starter beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you can see this is my first post here. I have been doing a lot of reading and lurking around. I finally did my first batch today and got this kit. It had everything I needed. I bought a 175,000 btu burner for the 5 gallon Lobster pot I already have. I got it at the local HB store and it came with a extract/grain brew kit. We will see how I did in a few weeks :rockin:.
I went with an American Pale Ale...based off of Shipyards Export Ale.
http://http://www.midwestsupplies.com/everything-a-carboy-complete-brewing-package-equipment-kit-2.html

Welcome to the site.

It would depend on what you like. I'm guessing you have the basic equipment and doing extracts. If you like ales, they are a good way to start. They are easy to brew and most are ready in 3 to 4 weeks. I started with a few extract kits, but as you learn you want to be in control. I would recommend this book "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff. It has recent recipes of award winning brews with extracts and he also gives the conversion to all grain. As where to get your stuff, check around for a local brew store if you have one close by you can usually get good prices and help there.

I'd go with a basic equipment kit from somewhere like Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply, or somewhere like that if your local store doesn't have one. Add another fermenter bucket as soon as you can because you won't be so impatient with your first beer if you are busy making a second one. Once you have done a few, look back and see if any of the brews really needed a secondary. I have a carboy and I've used it for a secondary twice and primary once in about 20 batches.

Think about what kind of beer you would like to drink and buy a recipe kit for that type of beer for a starter. Don't make it too complicated, something with extract, specialty grains for steeping, hops, and yeast and make that batch. Think about what went right and what needs to be changed to make it easier for you. Buy another kit, perhaps a different type of beer like an IPA or an Irish red and brew that. Work your way into a never ending supply of beers that you like.

Try Austin Home Brew Supply, they have just about anything you could imagine with premade kits. Just look around and find something that appeals to your tastes.

Latest posts

Back