Best Spots in the Bay area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm heading to San Fran for 5 days at the end of March and I hope to hit a few breweries and brewpubs.

Any recommendations? (I already know about 21A, and plan on going there!)

Thanks,

andreiz

Reaction score
Here you go:

Breweries / brewpubs:

• Magnolia
  • San Francisco Brewing Company
  • Speakeasy
  • Thirsty Bear
  • Rogue Ales

Bars and restaurants specializing in beer:
  • La Trappe (specializes in Belgian beers, their beer menu is inch thick)
  • Church Key
  • Monk's Kettle
  • City Beer Store

Definitely schedule a tour of Anchor Brewery if you can. And if you are here on Sunday, get out to Santa Rosa to Russian River Brewpub for an all day happy hour - the only place you'll find 12oz of Consecration for $3.25.

nibiyabi

Reaction score
Don't forget Anchor Brewing. I don't know if this is a regular thing, but I went there and enjoyed a free tour complete with a free beer tasting session which included 6 different beers, each in an 8-ounce glass. :drunk:

calpyro

Reaction score
If you get to the North Bay, a great day would start with Moylan's for lunch: Untitled Document
then stop by at Lagunitas tour every weekday at 3:00 PM (they don't advertise, but show up and get free beer) Lagunitas Brewing Company
and end the tour at Russian River for dinner: Russian River Brewing Company
This tour will give you some of the best beer in Northern Ca.

arover

Reaction score
mmmm...Russian River Brewing Company...good beer and good pizza.

Ysgard

Reaction score
Russian River is up north, in Wine country. Should you wander that direction, definitely hit it up.

calpyro

Reaction score
OP
W

WorryWort

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for helping out.

I am going to wine country, Yountville specifically, to satisfy my other passions - wine and food. So I'd like to get to Russian River if I can.

I can't hit them all, but if I remember to do it I will post back my thoughts when I return.

Thanks again!

Matt Up North

Reaction score
Stop by bear republic for the beer and come out to the winery I work at David Coffaro and I will taste you through wine if there on the weekend. I make wine there and would be more than happy to give you a taste of the good stuff.

Since you are going to napa, hit up Napa Aleworks(?) or something like that. It is a brewery on that side of the mountain, but of course Napa is a great place for Auto parts, Sonoma county is a great place for wine ;)

OP
W

WorryWort

Reaction score
Thanks Matt! But I'm only in the area for a day, and most of that is already planned up in Yountville. So it might have to be next time.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
+1 million on going to Russian River brewing. I was just there for the 1st time and Pliney the Elder is absolutely the best beer I have ever had. I highly suggest making the trip up there and the Pizza was awesome to boot, you could also run over to Third Street aleworks while your in Santa Rosa.

Enjoy!!:mug:

Edit: of course you can probably get Pliney the Elder at one of the pubs in San Fran.

OP
W

WorryWort

Reaction score
Well, I'm back now. I spent about 6 hours (consecutively) in Toronado, and all told roughly $80 on beer and sausages (sausages from next door). I even bought a magnum of Chimay Blue.

Anyway, damn great pub and I'll be back everytime I go.