Best Source for Bulk Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on who is the cheapest source for bulk grain, i.e. 50#-60# bags that ship? I'm looking for the best overall price 2-3 bags at a time. It seems like all the big name players I've seen have a decent selection, but are almost as much if not more than the price of grain itself for the shipping and I have no local sources. I guess that's going to be typical so I want to see if there's anyplace someone may know of that I haven't looked at before I pull the trigger.

Sluggo said:
Anyone have any thoughts on who is the cheapest source for bulk grain, i.e. 50#-60# bags that ship? I'm looking for the best overall price 2-3 bags at a time. It seems like all the big name players I've seen have a decent selection, but are almost as much if not more than the price of grain itself for the shipping and I have no local sources. I guess that's going to be typical so I want to see if there's anyplace someone may know of that I haven't looked at before I pull the trigger.

Cheapest price shipped for me is midwestsupplies.com... for Rahr 2 row that is. Comes to around $50 for a 50 # bag.. I can buy Muntons 2 row though for $55 a 55# bag at my LHBS so I just buy it there though... Shipping really kills the savings of buying bulk it seems..:(

It would be nice if we could get Sam's club to sell base grains. That way we could go online order it and have it shipped to the store for free.

Was reading a similar thread recently and Midwest Supplies came up a lot. You might also check fiftypoundsack.com. Their prices do include shipping already.

Check for a local group buy as well.

That's the best way. It's work to organize, but you get malt as low as 50 cents a pound.

BulkGrainBuy-2010.jpg

I have a Chicago area group buy going right now! Scroll down on the main board, and after the recipes is a section for group buys. Look at NEW Chicago bulk buy thread. Here is a link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/new-chicago-bulk-buy-285981/

55 cents / pound for Canadian 2 row = $30.25 per bag.

Back