Best soil to start rhizomes in a pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrderrick

Reaction score
Hat should I start my rhizomes in? Potting soil? Top soil? Any fertilizer at first?

Thanks guys

LOL I just answered that. 100% vermiculite FTW. No fertilizer until the shoots are green and healthy. Plant the roots at the surface with 1/2" on top. Keep wet all the time at first.

BTW HD and I think lowes.

Below, I have offered an excellent mix for containerized plants only. Do not use this for in-ground planting. Mix it well in bulk at add to a sanitized trash can or other large vessel to store indefinitely. Keep covered and do not add any organics such as banana peels, spent grain, old leaves, etc. This is not an organic mix, but it's also not laden with pesticides or anything harmful either. Do not use rocks, pebbles, or anything additional to aid water flow. The mix on it's own will already offer superior flow.

5 parts pine bark fines (partially composted fines are best)
1 part sphagnum peat moss (not reed or sedge peat)
1-2 parts perlite
Garden lime (or gypsum in some cases)
Control-release pellet fertilizer, as directed (3-1-2 ratio of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium ratio is best)
Micro-nutrient formula, other source of micro-nutrients, or fertilizer with all nutrients - including minors

The partially composted pine bark fines can be found extremely cheap, under $5 for a 15 lb. bag.

The CRF (control release fertilizer) should read something in the ratio of 3-1-2, or 6-2-4, or 12-4-8 on the label. This is the optimum N-P-K ratio for growth of plants. You don't want 10-10-10 or 5-15-30.

Back