Best session beer recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidneysaintpe

Reaction score
I am looking for a beer recipe that has mass appeal and good for having a few. I am open to all suggestions (I have Biermunchers Centennial Blonde in the secondary and can't wait to try it).
Please point me in the right direction:eek:

That's hard to judge for someone else. I like all kinds of session beers- a British Bitter, cream ale, English Brown, a low gravity American Amber, Scottish 60 +/, etc. I've even seen a Brewer's Best kit called something like "microbrewery light". I personally would do a lower gravity American pale ale, balanced with malt and hops and then dry hop it.

Thanks for the responses; I'm interested in recipes people have had success with in the past. Let me know if you have a specific recipe that you liked.

Thanks for the responses; I'm interested in recipes people have had success with in the past. Let me know if you have a specific recipe that you liked.

Well, I've made about 200 or 250 batches of beer. It'd be hard to remember which recipe I liked the best of all of them. The ones I've posted tend to be the "easy" ones, and the best-liked ones. As far as extract batches, my Dead Guy clone is a good one, if you like Dead Guy ale. The Sawtooth clone is pretty good, too.

Ed Worts recipe is a pretty good, mass appeal type.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

If I had to whip up a quick, easy and unoffensive recipe I would probably do something like:

Marris Otter
Some Crystal 40 or 60
Carapils
Cascade/Amarillo

I really, really like Simcoe/Columbus but most people IMO seem to like cascade/amarillo/both instead. It's really an individual preference thing.

I really rely on S-05 or yeast cultured from Rogue Shakespeare or Sierra Nevada. All are really clean.

Ordinary Bitter and Dark Mild are my daily bevvies of choices. Both are simple to brew, quick to mature, and my versions have been well-received by friends, family and patrons.

For the Bitter, target an OG no higher than 1038. Use UK-sourced ingredients. 10% 55-60L Crystal, 5% sugar (Demerara, Turbinado, or Lyle's Golden Syrup), the rest pale malt like Maris Otter. Target an IBU around 30, bitter with Challenger (preferred) or Target, finish with Goldings (preferred) or Fuggles.

For Dark Mild, look at Orfy's recipe list. That recipe is very highly regarded, so highly that I'm not even going to bother giving you mine. :D

You've already brewed Centennial Blonde, and someone else brought up EdWort's HPA; there you go! All sorts of options!

Cheers,

Bob

Back