Best quality malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
What malts (i.e. brands...not types) do you consider the 'best'? I think of Weyermann as high quality but probably just because it's German. I don't even know the brand of my Belgian malts...but they weren't cheap.

Also, in the US is there also an issue of 'which malt is fresher'? That is, are there certain domestic malts that aren't as high quality when fresh as say, Weyermann, but since we get the domestic stuff so much fresher that it's actually the better one to use.

it really depends on what brew youre making, and where you get your supplies from. if you get supplies from your local brew shop that is reputable and busy and cycles inventory frequently, then you should be fine with really anything in my experience. if you buy directly from a malster, then youre fine. the american brand (rahr, briese) will give you a different flavor than the weyermann and crisp etc etc. like i said, it depends on what flavor profile youre looking for. but generally, you should be ok with anything.

Thanks. I get my stuff online...haven't really found one that I feel is that much better. I'm generally doing more German lagers and Belgian ales at this time...so I use a lot of Pils as a base.

Dingemans is a common "Continental" malt (Belgian). It's decent. I've used it in German lagers, but I like German malt better for German beers. If I brewed a Belgian, I wouldn't hesitate to use Dingemans.

As for German, Weyermann is a great maltster. However, I bought a sack of BestMalz Pilsener malt from North Country Malt Supply and was very happy with it (plus I got the malt analysis;)). As for freshness, all the malt I bought from North Country (various BestMalz and Thomas Fawcett (British)) was purchased in the December timeframe and was from the crop of that year. I think freshness partially depends on date of purchase as it relates to the timeframe of the year's harvest. IOW, regardless of country of origin (domestic or imported), you'll get fresher malt if you buy it in late fall/winter vs. spring/early summer.

one think I can chime in about is american pilsner. I did a side by side blonde ale one with briess pils and the other with weyerman and whoo boy what a difference the continental stuff makes in this particular variety.

Back