Best practice - kegging half batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bankeny

Reaction score
I always brew with a friend splitting a 5 gallon batch.

I'm ready to move into kegging (have an old freezer ready to go) but my brewing partner is not. So he will still need to fill bottles.

I have a few questions on the best practices for doing this.

1.) Do I get 2.5 or 3 gallon kegs? Or go with 5 gallon kegs?

2.) If 5 gallon kegs are filled half way, am I using significantly more CO2 to carbonate?

3.) Would it be best to keg all 5 gallons and fill bottles from the keg or keg half and bottle the other half with priming sugar?

Thanks!

grainbill

Reaction score
This will probably end up as a personal preference...
Since 2 1/2 gal and 5 gal kegs are about the same cost going with the 5 and using more gas may be the way to go. You would need a beer gun for bottling carbonated beer from the keg. I got a deal on 2 1/2 gal kegs and it works well for me since I brew 10 gal batches. 5 gal into the 6th barrel, 2 1/2 into the mini and bottle a case....

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
If there is sufficient room for five gallon kegs, I'd go with those for the same reasons already stated, cost being the biggest.

You'll use a bit more than half the gas carbonating and dispensing versus a full five gallon batch, the small difference being the gas used to push (whether a full 5 or half that to start, you end up with an empty keg filled with CO2, but you only pushed a half keg of beer).

I'd carbonate in the keg then beer gun the bottles...

Cheers!

Latest posts