Best Porter/Stout Extract to age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good dark beer to make and age for a while. I have a buddy in the Army, and I want to have some around for when he retires. I really like the thickness and full bodied flavor of Milk stouts, but I know that the lactose sugar used to create that mouthfeel will turn sour over the time I'm planning on storing this brew.

Needs to be an extract kit I can find online, as I'm not set up for full or partial grain.
Needs to be 10%+ ABV. To age well, I'm guessing.
Must be able to store for 5+ years

Check out NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...t-kits/bourbon-barrel-porter-extract-kit.html
You can bump the abv% by adding brown sugar. Read the reviews and you'll find that this one really lends itself to aging.
Another choice could be their Scottish Wee Heavy. I have a couple of cases of this one tucked away for my son's wedding next April.
Although the kits don't advertise above 10% abv, you can tweak these to achieve that.:tank:

Back