Best Places to Buy Ingredients Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnidons-Brewing

Reaction score
What are some of the best websites/stores online to buy ingredients (hops/malts/grains/etc)? I'm in the Central (Harrisburg) area.

Thanks!

I have bought from More Beer and Farmhouse with great experiences and will continue to shop with them. As @catdaddy66 said, Northern Brewer was another good option before selling out. Label Peelers is another good site. Sign up for their news letters and you will find they have some good deals frequently. I've bought from Label Peelers twice now.

I know you didn't ask for this, but Rite Brew had the lowest prices around for kegging equipment. Something to keep in mind if you travel down that road some time. I waited for about a month before pulling the trigger and no deals could match Rite Brew's prices.

I forgot to mention Adventures in Home Brewing is another good site. They too frequently have sales.

Last edited:
With regard to farmhouse I don't think 80 bucks delivered for 50 pounds of 2 row.. is a good deal. Ya really gotta shop around and start at your local place if ya have one. I used to use NB almost exclusively and was very happy with them until they were bought out. That's a personal preference I don't hammer anyone for using them if they choose. I also like Williams brewing, morebeer, sometimes Austin homebrew supply but nowadays I support my local shop most often

Ritebrew.com for kegging equipment. I also get my grain there, even with shipping its cheaper than my lhbs if i buy enough.
YakimaValleyhops.com is where i get my hops from. Great prices, great sales, fast shipping.
Ive ordered stuff from NB before, i dont give a **** that AB Inbev bought them out, i dont typically shop there because they are more expensive typically. They do have some pretty fantastic recipe kit sales at times tbough.

I've had good experiences with Hops Direct, Farmhouse, and Northern Brewer.

I also buy a fair amount of stuff locally.

ETA: and sometimes there are good deals on Amazon. (seriously)

I assume you're from Harrisburg, PA, so Morebeer is your closest and quickest online source for shipped grains. (Free shipping over $59, and usually is next day to our area.) If you buy enough to hit that free shipping threshold, it's likely your cheapest online source, as well.

I usually use MoreBeer for grains and small amounts of hops for the free shipping over $59, and I now use Yakima Valley primarily for bulk hops (used to also use NikoBrew)

I like Great Fermentations. They sell grain in increments of a pound and ship fast at a flat rate.

There's a group grain buy in Lancaster. Good if you brew a lot and want whole sacks.

We have our DC Area Group Grain Buy 3-4x a year, but that's a bit of a drive for you, down Rte 15. But you can combine it with other visits in the area or along the route.

There are Local HomeBrew Shops (LHBS) that offer excellent sack pricing. Some have a "sack programs" where you "pre-buy" 50#, then they'll debit your account at the discounted price whenever you buy your grain. That way you always get fresh grain. Some do it across the board, whatever base and specialty grain you buy.

Otherwise, the sources mentioned above are great. Shipping (sacks of) grain is always pricey!

Great suggestions in this thread. I'll add as has been alluded to prior avoid Midwest and northern brewer as they're bought out recently by a very monopolistic company.

That bit of negativity aside I'll put a plug in for your local homebrew shop. Their value is in an ability to be hands on to help solve problems or fix you up in an emergency such as dead yeast or on the spur of the moment should you find unexpected time and decide to brew. Not only that but homebrewing is the heart of craft beer, the creative epicenter that produces almost all brewery owners and brewers... the lhbs is the home brewers best friend. Fwiw I HATE taxes considering them extortion but under the system we live with local taxes go toward roads and fire depts etc.

A final note concerning the lhbs, commit to buying say your hops equipment and yeast from them. Perhaps buying your big pieces of equipment or base grain or whatever the local shop prices highest online to save a few bucks. Of course don't just buy your liquid yeast from the lhb either as that's a loss-leader in retail terms, something sold at price or a loss to get you in the store. For any small homebrew store liquid yeast is a service to you, not an income generator!

I get emails from a Homebrewsupply.com; I think from signing up here, anyone have good/bad things to say about them?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I've bought from @HomebrewSupply several times before. I've always been happy. They're also the same folks that run HBT, from what I understand. However, I have seen some folks with some concern about their future with their sudden lack of inventory on things.

Back