best place to buy Hop Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bas762

Reaction score
Just like to get some ideas where you guys have gotten your rhizomes from and which seemed the best to deal with and had good product.:mug:

I have ordered form Freshops.com two years in a row and havent been disapointed. Good stuff, reasonably fast delivery and the rhizomes grow!

I bought from hopsdirect.com this year (I live in Washington so my options are limited because of the quarantine). They are a few dollars more than most of the other places online, but I'm pleased with the quality of the rhizomes I received. I ordered two Nugget and two Willamette, and received one extra Nugget (one bigger rhizome and two smaller ones). Even the small Nuggets had lots of buds on them.

Heres my theory...developed just now. I ordered some from Thyme Garden. Got them in good time and customer service was great. I just went to my LHBS to buy grains and stuff; well she had rhizomes for sale and they were fatties! I mean four times the size of the ones I got from Thyme Garden. We're talking fully matured plants... So if they are available to look at before buying, do that. And, if not you can only decide based on reviews.

ordered mine from hopfarmer which is a HBT member and they just showed up today. 5 rhizomes for 20 bucks including shipping is hard to beat.

Goto you local HBS and see if they have any that other brewers dropped off. I got and East Kent and a Willamette this way. I just happened to ask and they had them. Bas I may be able to ship you up some cascades, my grandparents neighbor has and arbor and has been growing them on there for like 5 or 6 years. I never knew because we lived in pittsburgh and just moved to WI, I walked into his back yard and almost C--e in my pants when I seen all those beautiful cones. He let me pick them all, and I got almost a pound of dried cascades. woohoo

I got mine from freshops.com and Had no problems
I wonder if you found someone growing them local to wear you live they could cut you off some of theirs and you could have rhizomes already suited to your climate Might make a difference?
Once the rhizomes are into the second year the roots get huge give em space
In spring I have shoots squirting up everywhere its hard to beleive the plants started as little roots Now the hops seem an unstoppable force
Virginia Wolf

Hey there,

+1 for freshhops.com. I've ordered from them before, and they delivered my hops very timely, and they arrived in perfect condition. I'm making another order with them soon to pre-order more rhizomes for this next season.

I have ordered 15 or so from freshops.com and everyone of them has grown. Some of them were a little thin but had good buds on them and like I said, have all been productive.

I ordered from Northwest Hops last year and watched them grow like crazy. But, due to some crazy flooding everything rotted. Just ordered more for 2011.

Hey there,

+1 for freshhops.com. I've ordered from them before, and they delivered my hops very timely, and they arrived in perfect condition. I'm making another order with them soon to pre-order more rhizomes for this next season.

I didn't see anything on their website for the pre-order. Am I missing something?

Back